by Tina Kusal – It is important when you explore the outdoors to be safe. This means more than just being aware of your surroundings. You also want to make sure you have the right trail running shoes on your feet because the last thing you want to do is trip or fall in the middle of nowhere. The wrong trail running shoes can cause serious discomfort and serious injury. Running through rugged terrain can be hazardous to your feet because of the uncertainty of where you might step. If the shoes you have on are not adequately supportive or of good quality, you can get injured or the shoes can even fall apart.
| Related: Portable Water Bottle Buying Guide – 10 Best Under $40 |
Even if you are running through the street along smooth pavement, you still need to support your feet. Without proper support you place strain on your muscles and bones. Even if you do not feel the pain right away, you could potentially be damaging yourself with each step. Material is important for trail running shoes because it needs to allow your foot to breathe and at the same time remain sturdy. You want a sole that absorbs shock well to protect your joints. Additionally with trail running shoes, the lighter, the better, but you have to be careful not to sacrifice quality for thin materials.
Trail Running Shoes Buying Guide
We have compiled a list for you of the top 10 trail running shoes that are perfect for the whole family. Trail running shoes can be expensive, especially if you want the name brands. Luckily, there are several great and reputable brands out there that are not going to empty your bank account. Quality can come at the right price and you can get good trail running shoes for the whole family. Whether you are hiking or running through the hills, these shoes are the best in durability, quality, safety and price.
* Purchase through our affiliate links and help keep our lights on without any extra expense to you!
1. ACICS Women’s Gel Venture Trail Running Shoes
Price: $37.46 – $99.95*
- Rugged neutral runner in mesh with bright overlays
- GEL Cushioning System
- Removable foam sockliner accommodates orthotics
- Trail-specific outsole with multi-surface traction
- High-abrasion rubber
2. New Balance Men’s 510V3 Trail Running Shoes
Price: $41.99 – $139.95*
- Weight: 348 grams (12.2 oz)
- AT tread outsole
- 12 mm drop: due to variances created during the development and manufacturing processes, all references to 12 mm drop are approximate
- NB ultra soft comfort insert
3. Salomon Women’s Speedcross Trail Running Shoes
Price: $59.60 – $218.74*
- The fourth generation of our legendary Speedcross lug pattern is an even hungrier monster for eating up soft, technical trails.
- Feel one with the trail with a precise combination of Sensifit with Quicklace, performance last shape and endoFit.
- Just enough to provide protection for technical trail running yet with the strategically placed weather-resistant functionality of CLIMASALOMON.
4. Salomon Men’s Speedcross Trail Running Shoes
Price: $74.57 – $222.96*
- Agressive Grip : Obvious and penetrating traction on soft ground.
- Precise Foothold : Close-to-foot and comfortable feel.
- Contragrip rubber sole; MIDSOLE HEIGHT : 30mm/20mm (10mm drop);WEIGHT: 310g
- Aggressive Grip : Obvious and penetrating traction on soft ground , minimalistic and strong lace for one-pull tightening. Easy-on, easy-off.
- MIDSOLE: Molded EVA / Lightweight Muscle / injected EVA.Lace pockets keeps laces tucked away.
5. Merrell Women’s Vapor Glove Trail Running Shoes
Price: $58.95 – $85.00*
- Barefoot-style trail runner in mesh and TPU with traditional lace closure, breathable mesh lining, and integrated microfiber soft footbed
- 0mm cushioning with 0mm heel-to-toe drop
- Wash as needed in cold water, gentle cycle and air dry
6. Adidas Men’s Rockadia Trail Running Shoes
Price: $41.99 – $99.99*
- Shaft measures approximately low-top from arch
- Mesh upper for maximum ventilation
- Textile and synthetic overlays add strategic support
- Grippy rubber outsole with special traction for trail running
7. Merrell Boys/Girls Trail Chaser Trail Running Shoes
Price: $27.99 – $114.00*
- Non-marking rubber outsole M Select GRIP
- EVA removable footbed
- Hook and look closure provides precise and secure fit
- Suede and mesh upper
8. Feetmat Kids Trail Running Shoes
Price: $15.99 – $16.99*
- Reinforced anticollision, wear-resisting toe cap.
- Comfortable and breathable insoles
- Back heel double fixed design to make walking easier.
- TPR non-slip soles, elastic band and convenient Velcro
- Casual shoes, fits season for autumn, winter, waterproof travel children’s sports shoes, perfect for school, outdoor and indoor.
9. New Balance Kids’ Nitrel V3 Trail-Runners
Price: $45.02 – $59.95*
- Textile and Synthetic
- Rubber sole
- Shaft measures approximately low-top from arch
- Foam midsole
- AT TREAD outsole
10. HOBIBEAR Kid’s Trail Running Shoes
Price: $18.99 – $19.99*
- Comfort suede leather fabric upper
- Durable anti-slip outsole
- Breathable and lightweight design for kids with hook and loop adjustability
- Perfect sneakers suit for various occasions such as for a day outside or sporting event
*All listed prices were confirmed at time of publish and are subject to change.
Tina Kusal grew up in England and has traveled extensively through Europe, Asia, and Australia. She works as a freelance writer, blogger, and author. She lives in Los Angeles, California with her son and is always ready for the next adventure.
The post Trail Running Shoes: 10 Best for the Whole Family appeared first on Outdoor Families Magazine.